14 March 2008

Happy Pi day everyone!

Today, March 14h, is Pi day!

It is of course a great occasion to:

1. Show off how geek you are, for instance by wearing this:



2. Eat pie. Or pi-zza.
By the way, did you know that the volume of a pizza of radius z and thickness a is "pi z z a"?



3. Learn stuff. Never in the world would I have suspected that Wisława Szymborska, Polish poet and Noble Prize winner, wrote a poem about pi! (Original version here.) I don't get that poem, just as I don't get anything else she wrote, but it's nice to see she took some interest in science.

Another geek holiday to look forward to is Square Root day, which is more exceptional as it doesn't happen every year, the next one being 3/3/9. As of today, happy Pi day everyone!

Sources: Pi t-shirt, pi pie, pi pizza, pizza volume quote.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I can't believe I missed Pi day this year!!! Uggh... (that pie looks super cool! You didn't make that, did you?)
    Lol, well thats what happens when you graduate into the real world...you forget its pi day. =[

    ReplyDelete