07 August 2008

My first time: tea on the laptop

Yesterday, I got my laptop wet for the first time. I had a lot of luck however:

  • I knew what to do, so I panicked way less than I could have (thanks anyone who did this before and kept me informed!)
  • My workmates reacted quickly and helped me do the right things (thanks guys!)
  • I spilled the tea next to the laptop, and not on it, so actually nothing got inside.
  • I had bought cleaning foam a few hours before! Isn't it ironic?
Anyway, since it's an important thing to know, I'll post here what are the right things to do when you get your laptop wet, especially as it's one of the tough situations for a geek as there's no time to google.
  1. Disconnect the laptop fast as you can.
  2. Remove the battery fast as you can. No looking at the screen, no hibernating, just make sure it's off.
  3. Leave it to dry for 3 days.
After that, it should work but may be dirty and sticky. Now you can google on how to clean it.

By the way, here's a story about a laptop that has been cooked in an oven and worked afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment